About Independent Electric Machinery Co.
Independent Electric Machinery Co. began in 1906 as a two-man business. John Launder, founder of the company, started by purchasing a small business called Used Machinery Company located at 2514 Summit in Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Launder changed the name immediately and very soon hired his first employee. The firm was moved the first year to 320 Southwest Boulevard to obtain more work space.
As a parts supplier to electric users in the early days, Independent Electric handled replacement items for crystal set radios and electric automobiles. Of course, today, Independent Electric doesn't sell radio parts or electric car items. John Launder moved Independent Electric to 300 Southwest Boulevard in 1929. Deliveries were made by horse and wagon and the horses were stabled in the basement.
In World War II, Independent Electric manufactured electric motors for the United States Navy and also performed high priority work for defense industries. By the mid-1950's the company was well established as the factory authorized parts, sales and service center or official distributor for many leading manufacturers.
In 1985, Independent Electric started expansion to surrounding cities in the Midwest. Today, Independent Electric has eight locations and has expanded its capabilities for both sales and service. Many of the employees working here today were part of the expansion process. They have been a valued part of our development and commitment to customer service.
In 1999, under the leadership of David B. Launder, Independent Electric undertook construction of a new facility located in Wyandotte County, Kansas. The move to the new location was completed October 2, 2000.
Currently Independent Electric sells services and repairs motors, generators, hoists, transformers, welders, distribution equipment. We offer predictive maintenance programs, electronic repair and inspection services to our customers.